Friday 25 March 2011

Tropical storms

OH MY GOD! 
Now I know what a real thunder storm is like.
I didn't know it was possible to rain so hard.

Last night Niki and I went out for some food and got trapped by a massive down pour.

It was too wet to sit in the bars as most of them aren't really rain proof so I bought a bottle  of wine from 7/11 and we got into our beds.
We chatted away, there was no glass so I swigged  from the bottle, so lady like.

Frans e mailed at 4.30 yesterday to say that he had just reached the port and he would be leaving on the over night ferry at 11pm, he arrived on our door step at 7am this morning with his usual lovely smile despite travelling non stop for 48hrs to get here.
We all went for breakfast and chatted and Niki left for Bangkok at 9.30am  to continue her travels.
I will miss her, we had a good time together and shared stories of some of lifes ups and downs.

She had rented a scooter yesterday and as it didnt need returning til this afternoon said Frans and I could use it.
Today was the annual celebrations for  releasing endangered sea turtles back into the water.

They were a year old and amazingly beautiful and around 14inches in length.
We got there about 10am and the rain clouds at that stage were just a grey looming threat.

An area on the  beach had been decorated with garlands of  fresh flowers and there were seats and small tables set out with parasols decorated with fresh flowers ready for the dignitaries arrival.

There were men from The Thai Tourist board, Governers, people from save the island and eco system,
The men were suited and booted and the ladies were dressed in beautiful long skirts and blouses, such was the special occasion.
Almost as soon as the garlands had been placed around their necks and they had been handed their fresh coconuts the heavens opened, boy did it rain.

So, the parasols that had meant to be there as sun shades now became umbrellas but they were made from material that wasn't water proof and so they were all getting soaked.
If they didn't get wet through the parasol then their trousers or skirts were on the receiving end of a continuous drip from the points.
I know I shouldn't have found it funny but I did.
They continued with the speeches regardless and Thai girls all dressed up in lovely outfits ran around with umbrellas trying to keep the already wet  Ladies and Gents from getting even wetter.
It absolutely poured and was not going to stop in a hurry so the show went on.

Frans and I somehow got ourselves firmly in position with some of the big wigs who were being kept drier than the rest, indeed Frans even took charge of one of the larger parasols and the 2 of us walked across the beach with him holding it over our heads.

The turtles were released, by this time every one was well and truly soaked.
The volunteers waded into the water after them and for a good half an hour directed them back out to sea when they had attempted to swim back to shore. It was wonderful to see such good work being done.

Meanwhile back at the shack.
Every one had run for a dilapidated building that was used to store stuff that had rapidly been turned into a make shift restaurant.
The table and chairs that had so lovingly been laid out on the beach with beautiful floral decorations and all the material coverings were drenched.
They were stripped of their coverings and hurriedly carried inside by lots of eager locals.

Meanwhile the dignitaries posed for photos and the tv crew.
The funniest part of it was that somehow I got myself into that group and Frans was really laughing at the fact that I was the only westerner in the annual photo shoot for a very important occasion.
I looked over to where he was standing and he pointed out that I was with the posh lot and I really laughed, I really do think the whole thing would have been caught on camera.
So, tune into Thai tv later and I may well be on it, I am sure they wouldn't have wanted to edit me out, after all I might have been some one important for all they know.

So, now we are wet through to the skin and the rain was not going to let up.
We had no choice but to get back on the scooter and drive the 4km or so back to the resort.
It was funny and lovely to be able to wrap myself around Frans and kind of use him as a shelter.
We took the bike back and that's when I found out that Niki had left her passport as a deposit!!!
She by now is on a bus to Bangkok, and I have her passport.
Whoops!

I have e mailed her and that is a story that will unfold.
Frans and I are having a lazy day reacquainting, it is 6pm and still raining but hey ho its still warm and he is here.
Happy days....

No comments:

Post a Comment