Saturday 19 March 2011

Decision made!

I have decided to go to Koh Tao, an island off the east coast of Thailand and have booked a bus leaving Bangkok at 6am tomorrow (sun) morning.
It will arrive around 12.45pm and then there is a connecting katermarang  (I cant spell it) that will get me there for about 2.45pm leaving plenty of time to get a place to stay.
The weather forecasts all say there will be some rain on the islands which is very unusual for the time of year. Locals have suggested it is because of what happened in Japan.
Who knows? But as it was pointed out to me, it is better to have rain on paradise island in 30 degrees than in Brighton - they have a point.
I met up with one of the lads from Cornwall last night.
His mate had copped off with a local Thai girl and was gone for the night so he and I spent the evening together.
For a 20 year old he was surprisingly good company and a bright lad too.
He kept me entertained with stories of what he and his mates got up to and he also told some sad stories about his parents and also of his friends parents.

His mate, (the one who had gone off for the eve) had a step Father addicted to heroin and his Mum an alcoholic and addicted to valium.
The Step Dad even had a bedroom in the house given over to the growing of cannabis plants and then sold it.
He had only just met up with his real Dad after 17 years, who had been paying maintenance that the Mother had been spending on drink and drugs. Whoops!
The guy I was speaking to also had divorced parents, his Mum had been into detox for alcohol but was sadly back on it.
His Dad had married  a woman who in his words was a 'manipulative witch from hell', who was also a big drinker and had a nervous breakdown and was on all sorts of pills.....
It wasn't surprising then that he and his mates had their own love of drink and drugs, sad but true.
We had a few drinks and a Thai green curry together and I left him around 10pm for bed as I was tired.
I slept well and today have been walking around what is now a familiar area, get me familiar in Bangkok!

Frans e mailed to say the caves were cool and he would be another 3 days down south Laos before coming into Bangkok. 
I will hopefully have some lovely photos of the island in the next blog, let's hope the sun shines.

1 comment:

  1. hello u.
    making decisions and being on holiday. My u have come along way.pullin young and old men,u devil. glad to see your close to home and making frinds with whitehawk boys!!!!! drugs and drink its not the 60s u know.
    glad your still having fun still.
    love kimbo x x xx x

    ReplyDelete